Monday, May 13, 2013

home town lovin


There are so many small things that have happened to me as soon as I got home (home meaning: my mother’s house in the small Oklahoma town I grew up in) I unpacked my things in my Mom’s home and felt immediate nostalgia. However, this nostalgia did not take me back to the person I was when I moved out of my mom’s house. -–The wandering, wide-eyed 18 year old 
Nope.
I found my collection of  Britney Spears stickers collected from Super H’s 5o cent sticker dispenser a package of Gushers and immediately I was warped into the early 2000′s
my playlist consisted of  Destiny’s Child, Missy Elliot , B2k,  JLO/Ja Rule (power couple), and…. the thong song…. okay maybe I’ve listened to that song weekly since the early 2000′s but It is.. “all that and a bag of chips”, HOLLA!!!!!
Not only did coming back home for a bit remind me that I am aging and  I knew I totally different generation of pop culture but It reminded me how much fun it is to talk about past times and really appreciate the life you have lived.
Which brings me to this.
There is something really special about being from a small town
For one, small towns have their “hang out” spots that are passed down from class to class, I did not graduate that long ago so by no means is it a surprise that I see high school kids meeting up in “Old Walmart Parking lot” or taking a drive down Phillips road but it definitely puts a smile on my face.
The town I grew up in will always have the best donuts and barbecue. HANDS DOWN.
And if you drive a little ways out of town you find a piece of heaven called Skiatook Lake
Neighbors are friendly, teachers become friends, friends family becomes your family and people are so willing to help.
Along with all these great things about my small town, something that really makes me happy to be apart of it is the amount of support and amazement I have gotten from the people that live/grew up here. The moment I mention my internship people are quick to congratulate me and be genuinely interested in what I have going on for me. It makes me so happy to think that I have grown up surrounded by people who are so happy and supportive for one another. I could be shoveling elephant poop on a movie set and people in this town would think that was the coolest thing ever; that’s not to say that people here are dumb or simple minded, I am just saying that no matter what you are doing people here are very excited for you.
No matter where you are on your journey to your dreams, as long as you are moving forward: YOU ARE SOMEWHERE!
You’re  just in school to be a nurse…. That’s awesome, you made it to nursing school you BADASS.
You just graduated college but have no job yet.. UM HELLO?? YOU JUST GRADUATED COLLEGE, SMART GUY!!!
You just have a job and a baby on the way… YOU LITERALLY CREATED A LIFE and you are working to give that life a special one– GO YOU!!
You just got an internship but you fail miserably at it…………You followed your dreams!!
-Mackelmore
Feeling loved, blessed and brave. 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment